Ham and Split Pea Soup Recipe
The savory split pea soup with ham is a nice balance of sweet, salty, and smokey. This hearty soup is perfect for chilly days in the fall and winter.
2 tablespoons butter
2 ribs celery, diced
½ onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 pound dried split peas, rinsed
1 pound ham, diced
1 bay leaf
1 quart chicken stock
2 ½ cups water
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. In a big soup pot, over medium-low heat, butter should be melted.
2. Stir in the celery, onion, and sliced garlic; continue to boil and stir for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent but have not browned.
3. Combine the split peas, ham, and bay leaf in a mixing bowl.
4. After adding the chicken stock and the water, give everything a good stir, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for approximately an hour and 15 minutes, or until the peas are fork-tender.
5. Mix it up every so often. When ready to serve, season the food with salt and black pepper.
click below button for more stories